Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Mussings


Sighhh.
I actually have a better feeling this week above others, but love this article:
20 Hour a Week Workers
I have made it a goal to try and apply for three jobs everyday. The wife has been very helpful and reminded me to keep a "job search" excel file so that I do not apply for the same job twice (or to justify why I applied for that job).


So today I included an assignment in class where I wanted them to explore a presidential candidate (there are five official presidential candidates here in North Dakota) and we had to have a quick talk about jingoism.
I love that term.
I then got to act out someone who would be jingoistic about the University of North Dakota (including me using the term "well at North Dakota we do").
Ohh' man, did the class eat that up. I picture my three fifty minute sessions with the class as an opportunity to emotional have a connection with something (while I hope that is something scholarly, sometimes it may not be). The danger with my personal teaching philosophy is that the class may not actually be learning anything. I walk a tight line between a hour of comedy where the class leaves with no real idea of why they were in class, or hopefully, coached in the lesson is an actually lesson. I tell the class all the time that in recreation classes, that they have already seen everything they are studying, so it is important to connect the textbook ideas to their lives (not just the real world, but their real world).
Again, not sure if I am succeeding in this endeavor.


So last night I was watching the World Series (instead of going to some political talk which in hindsight might have been more fun then I realize) and after the fourth/fifth inning, I turned away from it and watched other junk.
Does it seem like Jon Stewart has picked a side in this great struggle?
I have been listening to Keith Olbermann ever day (someday soon, ten favorite podcasts) and while I know he is sorta slanted and snarkey, I enjoy the 45 minutes.

Liks of Note:
Love John Dickerson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home