Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Basketball


So tonight I dipped back into my past for just an hour.
I took a side job helping out the local park and rec dept (yes, I answer phones twice a week and call some people) but tonight they were short of basketball refs and yours truly stepped back in time to call a game.
I was told it was gonna be a blow-out but it was super close until the final minute when they one team hit two threes in a row to go up by six.
Then, in classic adult league "still think I'm tough" fashion, one of the losing guys started throwing some elbows with about 20 seconds left.
This dude's team missed their third straight three when he missed the rebound but teed up his elbow and almost took out this guy's face.
My partner (a guy named Chauncey) who has recent experience (it helps to not take 12 years between reffing games) gave the dude a 'T' and tossed him (it helped that both teams seemed upset at this and the fat dude just walked off after the incident).
I was okay. Missed some calls right in front of me (I got two "COME ONs" and one "YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME"), screwed up one call (I might have imagined it) but overall I was fair.
I'll probably be doing more games in the near future. Needless to say, I need to get in better shape if I continue to do this.
Ha Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home