Monday, January 12, 2009

Saturday Night Hockey


This weekend we saw our fourth men's hockey game (we have seen the women once).
A big game against this school's biggest rival (at least in men's hockey) Minnesota.
We went Saturday night and had a pretty decent time (this would be the point where I told my wife that I am still uncomfortable rooting too openly for this school and the people who currently go here, the alumni base, and local populace, not really sure why I feel this way, but I do, I think it mainly has to do with the logo and the nickname, but not entirely, maybe).


It was a blowout.
The local team was up early and blew em out early in the third period.
The Gophers were without their coach (who is having some serious health issues) and maybe were not totally into the game, but you could tell the local team was into it.
Lots of fighting, chippy behavior, cheap shots, talk/yelling at each other, and the crowd was pretty go (kudos to the student section, while I feel they are not the most original bunch, they were into the game and it was a pleasure to sit across from them).


My favorite subplot whenever I go into the hockey facility, is guessing how much of the interior (and exterior to be exact) will have to be changed to accommodate the oncoming nickname change.
There is supposed to be over 4,000 Sioux logos in the building and all of them have to be removed according to the agreement the university signed.
It will be a nightmare.
Ha Ha.
Ohh' well.
It was a good time (my wife sits next to her friend and has someone to talk to while zone out and stare at various things happening all around me: the student section and what they are doing, the band and what they are doing, the crowd and how they respond to the game, the "cheapness" of the surroundings, all the little kids who want to come and exit our section, the loud lady behind me who seems to be a one-woman cheer-section {which I secretly love, go lady}, the bar section to my right, the little kid next to me who was signing some song and who was being 'coached' by his Dad on what was really happening in the game, the poor little girl next to us who was wearing both a gopher and a Sioux jersey and changing it to appease both her parents {who were both decked out in opposing outfits with jerseys, hats, buttons, scarfs, beads and face paint, awesome}, and actually watching the game, which was fun).
Good times.

2 Comments:

At January 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim:

On a sad note, no Mr. Tony this winter. 3WT is off the air. Tony won't do a radio show until after MNF. Hope he gets fired.

Shawn

 
At January 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM , Blogger GF Resident said...

Ugghhhhh.
This hurts more then everything else.
I had been planning my spring around hearing him in the office while I did work (or just ate donuts to continue to fuel my winter weight).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home