Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Walk in the Woods


For the class I'm teaching this semester about interpretative methods I presented the class with a list of books interpreters read to increase their knowledge and to relate to some park visitors (books included: Dakota, Sand County Almanac, Silent Spring, Desert Solitaire, Reflections from the North Country , and The Outermost House to name a few).
Included on this list was Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. Since no one choose it, I saw it in the library and reread it over the past week (one student choose Walden and I agreed to read it with him which led to five students forming a book club and now we meet once a week to discuss this book, yeesch, this was never a book I wanted to read but now I'm reading it and trying to help the one student who acts as the leader when we meet, yeah).
Love Bryson, the first book I read by him Lost Continent which I thought was great and spurred many drives by me which turned me off the interstate and onto rural roads (which always made drives take three to five hours longer).
However for me, WITW is this flash-back to my great outdoor adventure and I get to relive some of my adventures through the book (some of the stories are eerily similar or I now have forgotten my thru-hike completely and maybe I never really did it, ha).
Three weeks ago someone I hiked with for about a month sent me a DVD of their hike and in the middle of this wonderful walk down memory lane are real pictures of me (looking either like a dope or a clown) in the outdoors, hiking my hike.
Bryson's book (which when added to other long-distance hiking books I have read) gives a nice telling of the history of hiking the Appalachian Trail (I read Earl Shaffer's Walk with Spring when I hiked and I remember it as a tale of a loner who bush-whacked the woods and survived with an axe, canned foods and regular fires, none of which are used today).
I forgot what a good read WITW was and it reminds me that rereading some books may help my enjoyment of new books (I am currently trying to read David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, whoa).
Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home