Thursday, October 30, 2008

Student Fun


So I have this one student who a small problem.
This student was arrested this past summer for a minor hunting/drinking event (it was covered in the paper this summer and the professors in this department all came to talk to me about it, along with their opinions about a bunch of other students I have in my class, but I have withheld judgement about them all, you know me, even-handed and non-judgemental).
This was not a problem and this student came to me to explain their problem early in the semester, however after regular attendance all semester (including on Fridays when as their first class of the day, this student sorta recked of cigarettes, stale beer, and occasionally the gutter/street/outdoors {not sure if they made it home and instead slept it off in a bush the previous night}) this student had gone missing. They missed about a week of class and I asked around but no one knew what happened to them.
Well, this student finally came into the office they let me use and told me the most fascinating story about why they had missed the past four classes.
It turns out that when they transfer you from one jail to another jail, if there are typos on your transfer notice and if they forget to include your work-release statement/agreement, they will hold in jail until they clean up the typos and find out if you are telling the truth about the work-release ("Come on, you know me. I would never lie about my agreement to leave the jail everyday").
So this student has missed the better part of four classes because the penal system screwed up his paperwork. They came to the office and explained to me how they'll need me to sign off on the official sign-off/release sheet (which I then reminded them that it was their responsibility to remind me, which seemed to stun them but they recovered and we agreed to make eye contact at the end of the hour and thus spare them some humiliation and yes this student does seemed dazed from the past two weeks).
We then went over everything that person missed (I even let this student take a quiz late, I believe I have to be part of the solution in their rehabilitation) and then they informed me that they would be allowed to use a personal computer while they are incarcerated (and I told them to email me they are lonely, you know me, Mr. Society).
If I ever had doubts that the system might still be working, well, I still might doubt it, but I actually had a good conversation with this student about their role in class, the department, their future and some current events. We talked about life, how their steady had a role in the play I just saw (and I thought that actor was pretty good and told them to congratulate them on what I saw as a success, you know me, Mr. Theater Critic) and in a few things they might want to read while they are behind bars.
Love college.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home