Monday, November 10, 2008

NPR Notes


So as I've indicated before, I'm sort of addicted to podcasts (at the moment I'm listening to Fox's 5 minutes news 'fair and balanced', followed by AP's college basketball update followed by some selections from the Economist) and a few regular favorites are This American Life and Wait Wait don't tell me.
So as I was listening to the Halloween episode of TAL and I heard something that made me cheer. They were interviewing people who had real-life 'scary' stories and they interviewed a lady who was attacked by a rabid raccoon.
The story was pretty bad (while being sort humorous, well the cruel part of me thought it was) as she detailed how this raccoon attacked her at the end of her driveway. Well, the story continues and she ends up saying "I feel like I was betrayed by nature. I thought nature was this place where I went for serenity and peace and now I only see it as a place where danger looms."
When I heard her say this part of me cheered. Now I agree that nature has been a place where I can go to have some quiet time or to do something athletic and fun (I always viewed my hiking as something I liked to do to get closer to nature while trying my physical self against the outdoors, I'm not sure that I wanted to conquer nature, just prove to myself that I could still exist on a physical plane), but I also never forgot that nature is a place where danger happens. While I may not be some wilderness survivalist where I could survive off the land, I could imagine how awful the land can treat you (I remember walking through the White Mountains and coming across the dude who broke his leg, we stayed for awhile and kept him company, but after the girl with him got cell service, they told us a helicopter was coming for him, yeesch, I guess it's cool and I guess i would want to be flown out but I have walked out after screwing up my ankle or hurting myself numerous times and it's more of 'I'm not a wimp' thing).
Deep down, it bothers me when people don't respect the power of nature and how the local creek or field is something I can take for granted since it is so close. Respect, I guess since I have walked around so often in the places I have called home that I feel in no way does the land owe me anything, it is my responsibility to be aware of my surroundings and learn about what to do if something happens.


This weekend's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me had my favorite 'lefty' moment as it concerns the recent Presidential election. During the first segment when they ask a caller about this week's news, they asked this lady about what individual told his children that they deserve a new puppy and she replied "I am honored to utter these words, President-Elect Barrack Obama" and the crowd erupted and Peter Sagal yelled out "Indeed!"
I was listening to the show as I was walking back from the office Sunday evening and I stopped and just savored the moment. The hair on my arms rose, I breathed in the cold air and it just felt great. I have feared that this all might be a dream but no. The whole show was the celebration of people who seem smart (or it just might be that the writers are smart) and believe in 'social' things (I mean, NPR is a public entity and survives because of government aid).
Another awesome feeling from a week of awesome feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home