Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Grizzly Man


We watched this movie because I was thinking of using it in one of the classes I'm teaching (a part of it anyhow). By the end of the movie I decided to move in another direction as it concerned my class.
Here's the gist of it, I sort thought our hero of the story was a goof. Hew was hard to root for (he seemed like a whiner & a weeny although the one person in the movie who thought he was a true goofball almost made root for him), he was breaking some major tenets of Leave No Trace (don't be messing with LNT), he was anti-park service (his swearing rant was classic) and he was a narcissist and he was all about himself (this point bothered me the most, he used the word "I" so many times I had to occasionally pause the movie to give myself a break, I couldn't imagine watching this movie straight through).
There was a lot to learn from the movie (land management issues, interpretation techniques and environmental behaviors/attitudes to name a few) but our hero was hard to watch after a while I found myself not feeling bad that he was taken down at in the end (he violated everything he knew about grizzlies, he came later stayed late, ignored signs and dragged another person to their death that in the end, he got what was coming to him, he ignored his knowledge and led someone else to the grave).
Usually at the end of a movie (even if it is bad) I like to mess around with the special features. After this movie I placed the disc back in the case and thanked whatever is above for just getting the disc from the library. I felt better knowing I did not contribute and money to this (although to be fair, the documentary was great, well made, edited well, good cast of characters to either make fun of or say "good point" and the director's narration was pleasant when compared to the main character, so I might be making a judgment about the person and not the movie, hummmm.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home